Now, getting to our first day of school was much more of an adventure. You see, if you've been following the blog, you've likely seen my recent post about counting down the days until today. I've been working hard on trying to have a schoolroom/office/craft room this year, instead of doing lessons at the breakfast table and storing everything in the laundry room. That was only going to get harder as more little ones were added to the routine! Thankfully, with our house's generous bedroom sizes, the largest of the extra rooms (then a nursery) will accommodate all of that! So, chaos went into effect, and file cabinets were emptied (we're having to change from 2 cabinet sizes to 1 combined cabinet... still in the works), closets were rearranged, the munchkins got new, larger shelves with storage boxes atop in order to move books around in the house and have more storage space, more got dumped into the previous study... and so it went, figuring out what could stay or what could go furniture-wise, and rearranging as we could to prepare for moving the bigger stuff.
Then a couple of weeks ago, I was finally ready. The loveseat was removed from the nursery, and the Principal's desk went in. Next went one bookshelf into the new combined room, after I had dismantled the crib and put it aside. Then I had to attack the previous study big-time and rid it of all of those mountains of STUFF (I'll spare you pictures - it was scary). Thankfully, I found a way to get rid of the massive bulk of it, filled up the last two of the storage boxes atop the munchkins' shelves, and somewhat sorted what was left. I need filing cabinets quite badly right now. =)
Eventually, the two bookshelves that were to go in the new combined room were both in place! The second was able to join the first once I had cleared out the majority of the old study. This was all by about mid-week LAST WEEK. Have you noticed anything missing in all this? Oh, that's right. We still didn't have desks for the munchkins, and I was supposed to start TWO on lessons today!
Not that I'm a procrastinator or anything.... but Friday brought the purchase of lumber and the subsequent cutting to size. I was quite proud to say that by the end of the day, the two cabinets and two extra shelves were done, and all on my own, too! I'm rather shocked the Principal just let me loose with the power tools. Again. ;)
The Principal jumped in on his day off, and we got to work. Desktops: check. Legs: check. Everything sanded... ACHOO!... check. =)
A short while later, the desks were hauled into their positions, anchored to the wall, and Principal went to personalizing the spaces while I loaded them up with the supplies! Munchkins were just about to burst from excitement over finally having their own spaces!! Poor Scoot will just have to wait a little while for hers. The rest of the room just isn't ready yet!!!
I'm using cups to hold pencils, markers, colored pencils, and dry erase markers. I found neat little crayon holders at Walmart for their crayons, and their scissors, glue sticks, and pencil sharpeners are just having to sit out for now. The dry erase boards were actually bought for our trip we recently took, in the event I needed more entertainment for munchkins on a long drive. They were never used, and now they've been turned over to school usage!
In the end, today the munchkins got to do lessons in their own space, with their new school supplies, and I do believe this year should flow much better than last year with more organization and less fighting over combined table space. =)